Credit/ No Credit and Withdrawal Policies

Credit/ No Credit (CR/NC)

CR/NC Policy:

Students in good academic standing may elect to take at most one letter-graded course per term as CR/NC for a total of up to four courses while enrolled at Kalamazoo College. Courses taken CR/NC must be outside the major, minor, or concentration (including cognates). Students may elect this option for at most one course in any one department. Before signing this form, please be sure to investigate all possible implications:

  • This form is due to the Registrar’s Office on or before Friday of eighth week of the quarter during which Credit\No Credit is a course registration option.
  • Once declared a Credit\No Credit course, the course cannot be converted back to a letter-graded course.
  • Declaration of a course as Credit\No Credit makes the student ineligible for the Dean’s List consideration for that quarter.
  • Many graduate schools and professional institutions may not accept Credit\No Credit graded coursework in subjects related to an intended program of study.
  • Students may retake a CR/NC option for a letter grade.
  • The course will not satisfy prerequisites for those course sequences that require a “C- or better.”
  • The course will not satisfy the last course in the language requirement (103 or 201) or any of the Shared Passages Seminar requirements.

Your advisor’s approval is needed to change a class to CR/NC.

2021 Winter and Spring Exception to CR/NC Policy:

Kalamazoo College Faculty have approved adjustments to the CR/NC policy for the Winter and Spring 2021 terms only. The policy for these terms is as follows:

  • All students may elect to take at most TWO letter-graded courses per term on campus as CR/NC (Credit/No Credit) in Winter and Spring 2021, with only the SECOND one of the two counting against the maximum of 4 courses over their college career (not including Spring 2020).
  • Students may elect this option for at most one course in any one department. The CR/NC grade option is not available for Shared Passage Seminars or for the final course taken to satisfy the language requirement (i.e. 103 or 201).
  • Letter-graded courses taken as CR/NC may not count towards any major, minor, or concentration (including required cognates), nor may they satisfy prerequisites for those course sequences that require a “C- or better,” without special permission from the department.
  • Students who take a course for a CR/NC grade may retake the course for a letter grade.
  • Students may choose to apply the CR/NC option at any time during the course up to midnight EST Friday 10th week. The professor will assign a letter grade as per normal procedure, but the Registrar’s Office will convert passing grades to CR and will convert an F to NC. (Professors will not be formally notified if students have taken this option.)

If you have questions regarding this policy please contact the Registrar’s Office at

Course Withdrawal

Course Withdrawal Implications:

  • The responsibility for understanding the implications of underloading for a term or withdrawing from a course ultimately falls on the student. This information is intended to assist you in making a good decision.
  • International students are responsible for maintaining their own visa status while in the U.S., which includes enrollment in at least 2.4 units per term.
  • Generally, all students should discuss the choice to withdraw with an advisor or the Registrar to make sure they understand how this withdrawal may or may not impact their opportunity to graduate on time or meet any other academic conditions.
  • Students withdrawing below two full-time courses need permission from the Dean of Students.
  • Students receiving any form of financial aid should review the College’s policy on Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress. If clarification of the policy is required, speak with a representative of the Financial Aid Office.
  • Also, if you are a student-athlete, discuss this choice with your coach to be sure you will continue to be eligible to participate.

Some instances that require special consideration:

  1. Students who are on “probation” for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  2. Students who are on probation for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress must complete 3 full unit courses; therefore, underloading, dropping, or withdrawing from a course at any time in the quarter will result in cancellation of their financial aid eligibility for the next quarter. Students who are placed on
    financial aid probation are notified by letter and email from staff in the Financial Aid Office. If you have any uncertainty about your financial aid status, it is best to meet with a financial aid staff person to discuss your status.
  3. Student on Academic Probation of any kind.

Your advisor’s approval is needed in order to withdrawal from a course.